We are upgrading our Kaurilands substation to reinforce the power supply in the area.
The substation is nearly 50 years old and will be completely revitalised. All of the electrical equipment will be replaced and housed within a new architecturally designed
building. The surrounding property will also be landscaped
The substation supplies power to 7,000 customers in the Kaurilands, Konini, Glen Eden, Titirangi North and Wood Bay areas. The upgrade will provide a securer power supply and meet demand in the area.
We will be maintaining the operation of the existing substation whilst constructing the new substation.
Location: 86 Atkinson Road, Kaurilands
Project timing: Mid March 2010 to July 2011
- March and mid May 2010: preparing the site for construction. This will include concrete laying, the relocation of some electrical equipment on-site, earthworks and the removal of some of the power poles from the property.
- May to October 2010: construction period. During this time the new substation building will be built.
- October 2010 to April 2011: installation of new electrical equipment. New electrical equipment, including two new transformers, will be installed inside the new substation building.
- May 2011: demolish the old substation building, remove old equipment.
- June - July 2011: installing underground pipes for futre power cables on the site.
- June 2011: landscaping and fencing.
The dates provided here are approximate – our work may progress more quickly or slower than anticipated at times.
Some trees on the site will need to be removed to facilitate construction. Vegetation that is removed will be replaced with more suitable species with a view to attracting native bird life.
Our work hours
Our work hours will generally be between 7am – 6pm, Monday to Saturday, although work outside of these hours may be required occasionally.
At times there will be noise from trucks, diggers, cranes and other equipment, as can be expected during construction. We do apologise for any inconvenience or disturbance the work causes. We will endeavour to limit noise and the affects of the construction work at all times.
Site safety and traffic management
The construction site will be securely fenced with temporary chain-link fencing at all times, and full traffic management plans will be in place to ensure the safe and smooth flow of traffic.
If you would like more information please see the Q&As for the substation project, call 09 303 0626 or you can email us.