Vector's metering businesses are responsible for the ownership and management of electricity and gas meters to more than 800,000 homes and businesses across New Zealand, as well as the provision of energy data management services to commercial and industrial electricity users.
In 2008, Vector metering started the nationwide installation of smart meters .From that point until now, we have installed over 450,000 smart meters throughout the country. The initial benefits of
Vector's smart meters today include:
- Eliminating the need to issue estimated bills
- Better information about actual power usage – better information about electricity usage available to the householder and retailer
- Removing the requirement for meter readers to have property access
- Platform for time-based tariffs
- Support for micro-generation (import / export) tariffs
- The ability to deliver retail services remotely.
Smart meters are seen as the future for metering solutions and will enable customers to manage their energy efficiently. Vector’s smart meters are leading edge technology, and have been designed with a future needs of households and the electricity industry in mind.
When used to their full potential, our smart meters are powerful tools providing considerable benefits to all consumers.